As a luxury custom home builder, we understand that one of the most exciting aspects of building a new home is choosing the style and design elements that will make it unique and special. While modern and contemporary styles are popular choices, many homeowners are drawn to classic architectural styles such as mid-century modern, Victorian and Art Deco. Let’s explore these three styles and discuss how you can incorporate classic elements into your new home.
Mid-Century Modern: Clean Lines and Minimalism
Mid-century modern homes were popular in the 1950s and 1960s and are characterized by their clean lines, minimalism, and integration with nature. If you’re drawn to this style, here are some ways you can incorporate it into your new home:
- Floor-to-Ceiling Windows: Floor-to-ceiling windows are a hallmark of mid-century modern architecture and can create a seamless connection between indoor and outdoor living spaces.
- Flat Roofs: Flat roofs are another classic feature of mid-century modern homes and can give your home a sleek and modern look.
- Statement Lighting: Unique lighting fixtures such as Sputnik chandeliers or Nelson Bubble Lamps can add a touch of mid-century modern style to any room in your home.
Victorian: Ornate Details and Grandeur
Victorian homes were popular in the late 19th century and are notable for their ornate details and exceptional grandeur. If you’re drawn to this style, it’s easy to understand. Here are a few elements you can add to your home to capture the Victorian vibe!
- Turrets and Gables: Turrets and gables are classic features of Victorian homes that can significantly create a sense of grandeur and elegance to your home’s exterior.
- Intricate Woodwork: Victorian homes are renowned for their intricate woodwork, such as gingerbread trim, brackets and, of course, spindles. Incorporating these details into your new home can infuse it with Victorian charm and character.
- Stained Glass Windows: Stained glass windows are another hallmark of Victorian homes and can add a colorful and artistic touch to any room in your home. Finding a local artist to create a one-of-a-kind piece for you will make it all the more special.
Art Deco: Geometric Shapes and Glamour
Art Deco homes were popular in the 1920s and 1930s and are distinguishable by their geometric shapes, bold colors and glamour. Here’s how you can incorporate one of our favorite classic design styles into your new home:
- Streamlined Design: Art Deco homes are largely known for their streamlined and sleek designs. Incorporating clean lines and geometric shapes into your home’s architectural design is what will surely set it apart from your neighbors.
- Bold Colors: Bold colors such as black, white and gold are classic Art Deco colors and can enhance that glamour look and sophistication to your home’s interior.
- Mirrored Surfaces: Mirrored surfaces such as mirrored furniture or mirrored walls were popular in Art Deco homes and can make your home shine like you’re a Hollywood star!
When you’re ready to build your dream home, we can work with you to incorporate these classic elements into the design to create a true masterpiece that reflects your one-of-a-kind personality!