Gorgeous Mosaic Birdhouse by Betsy Wunderlick Gruy
Summer is the perfect time to get your hands dirty and build something new! Whether you’re looking for a weekend project or something to keep you busy the rest of the summer, there are plenty of DIY building projects to tackle. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Build a patio bench. This is a great project for beginners that brings a lot of added value with extra seating for your patio. All you need is some wood, screws and a few tools.
- Build a birdhouse. This is another wonderful project for beginners, and it’s a fun way to attract beautiful birds to your backyard. All you need is some wood, nails and a few tools. The one featured in the photo above, made by local artist Betsy Wunderlick Gruy (@sugarloose on Instagram) features a mosaic design with glass tile. It may be a bit more advanced, but it gives you an idea of just how creative you can be.
- Build a garden shed. This is a more challenging project, but it’s an excellent way to add some extra storage space to your backyard. You’ll need some basic carpentry skills, but there are plenty of tutorials available online and in home improvement stores.
- Build a play-set for your kids. The kiddos will thank you for this one! There are plenty of different types of play-sets available, so you can find one that fits your budget and your backyard.
- Build a treehouse. This project may also require a bit of skill, but it’s the perfect way to give your kids a special place to play that’s all their own, with the added benefit of giving them a sense of accomplishment, if they’re able to help. You will need some basic carpentry skills, but we know you’ve got this!
The good news is it’s easy to find plenty of helpful tutorials online or even in home improvement stores for all of these.
No matter what project you choose, make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves when working with tools. And always consult with a professional if you’re not sure how to do something. With a little effort, you can build something amazing this summer!
When you envision your perfect dream home, make sure to carve out a little dreaming for the kids too! Whether you’re looking to start from the ground up or you just need a make-over, here are some great ideas that will make the kids happy! Some of these are also an opportunity for family bonding.
Give the kids permission to paint on the walls and you’re definitely going to get kudos from the kiddos. Use wainscoting in a room and paint the wall below with chalkboard paint. The kids can pick whatever colors they like and have a blast!
Additionally, removable wall transfers are a great and affordable way to let the kids decorate their own room, knowing that as soon as they’re bored with it, it can easily be changed. These “wall tattoos” come in a variety of styles and patterns.
What kid doesn’t want his/her own playroom? Turn that extra bedroom into a mini theatre where your kid(s) can create, imagine and perform. All you need is a mini stage with a curtain, a mic and a few chairs for family and friends to watch… because the show must go on!
DIY Projects for the Kids
Wanting to spruce up your home décor this fall? Get the kids involved and create a homey atmosphere at the same time! Some easy DIY projects might include building a bird house. It doesn’t take much – just a few scraps of wood, some paint and bird feed. You might need a few power tools as well. We like THIS easy to make birdhouse, which claims to take 5 minutes and cost only $5. Check it out:
Other fun DIY projects include painting a mailbox, creating a mini fairy garden in the backyard and making a teepee. If you want a serious project, build some bunk beds, which are perfect for sleepovers and space savers. Who wants a regular bed these days anyway?
We bet you can come up with even more fun ideas to help make your house a home for the whole family! If you’re ready for a new home, please call us at 210-494-5400 to set up a consultation or fill out our online form.