Maybe you’re ready to build your dream home, but your credit isn’t quite where you know it needs to be. Regardless of the market, banks are more careful than ever, and showing them that you have good credit is key to getting what you want.
Credit scores are what banks refer to when deciding whether you’re a safe bet. They look at your past credit history of spending such as what’s your level of debt and whether you make payments on time.
According to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, companies that purchase mortgages from banks and resell them to investors, a FICO score above 620 is considered good, 650 is even better.
Time is on your side when it comes to credit. Past incidences will eventually lighten up or fall away. It should also be noted that you will have a low score if you have little or no credit history. Meaning, if you’re looking to invest in a home any time soon you should start using credit cards, responsibly of course.
Here are some tips to boost your credit score:
- First, check your credit report to determine where you stand. You may find that there are some discrepancies on your report. If so, you can write to the credit reporting companies – tell them what happened and request they investigate. This might be a hassle, but it’s worth it if it removes bad credit history.
- Eliminate what they call “nuisance balances,” – these are cards that have small balances. Target these first.
- If you have credit cards or debt with large balances, do your best to start witling away at them. By paying down your balances and keeping those balances low, you’ll positively affect your score.
- Find out whether the credit card issuer will allow you to make multiple payments throughout the month and do so.
- Don’t try to get old paid-off debts removed from your credit report, that is if they were paid off appropriately. Good debt is actually helpful to your score. Besides, items typically disappear from your report after seven years.
Even little things like setting up payment reminders can help you build better credit and in the end help you build your dream home. That’s where Stone Creek Custom Homes comes in. We’re here when you’re ready! You can call us anytime at 210-494-5400.