If you live on the northside of San Antonio, you might already be dealing with the expensive, time-consuming and stressful reality of a home hit by a hail storm. For those of you who bypassed the disaster, or haven’t had time to deal with it yet, here are some tips to better prepare you for the worst.
- Make a checklist of anything you think might have been effected by the storm and take photos. It helps if you have current photos to compare with. You’ll want to look at all the details, such as gutters and fencing.
- Call your insurance company immediately. Just because your house may look like it doesn’t have any damage is no guarantee. From the ground you won’t be able to see the extent of the roof damage, for one. It’s always best to have an adjuster sent out right away.
- Don’t wait for the adjuster. Start getting estimates on repairs as soon as possible. The better prepared you are, the easier the process will be.
- Perhaps one silver lining is homeowners insurance often covers items outside of your house, such as patio furniture.
- Do yourself a favor by staying organized. When something unexpected like this happens, being able to easily find receipts and paperwork can be a huge stress reliever.
- A cracked windshield is bad enough. With insurance deductibles, it’s likely that could all come out of your own pocket. Although we’re probably never fully prepared for weather damage (even when you see it coming), if you can safely get outside, drape a heavy blanket and/or large towels over your car, it might just save you from an expensive mess!
If you’re ready to throw in the towel and finally build your dream home, call us at 210-494-5400 to set up a consultation. If you wish to be added to our private email list for our newsletter, please sign up here.